Home > Academics > Research
• 2012 Annual R&D Report
Message from President
- KAIST is pleased to present the 2012 Annual R&D Report.
- 2012 was a fruitful year for KAIST, in particular, making good advancements in four research areas: energy, health, knowledge, and security. Cross disciplinary research has been strong and active, ranging from information technology, biotechnology, nanotechnology, environment technology, space technology to culture technology.
- KAIST selected 54 noteworthy research outcomes of 2012, of which the top ten research developments were highlighted in the 2012 Annual R&D Report. A few examples of them are: “Uncovering Abnormal Nanoscale Friction of Graphene,” “Identification of Autism Gene and Underlying Mechanisms,” and “World’s Best Super-stretchable Conductors with 3D Nanoarchitectures.” For the full list, please download the attached pdf file.
- A total of 2,543 research papers, including 230 papers for domestic journals, were published. There were 1,747 patents registered or pending for registration in Korea, and 331 patents abroad. Technology transfer has grown steadily, amounting to approximately USD 2.9 million.
- About 80% of the research projects conducted last year was government funded. The yearly research funding, both from the government and private sector, was close to USD 238 million.
- KAIST has set out a new plan for future development, “Vision 2020.” Under the plan, the university encourages its members to uphold six core values: diversity, integrity, respect, equity, creativity, and teamwork (DIRECT). These values serve KAIST as a solid foundation upon which it establishes five development strategies to move forward: knowledge creation, advancement, integrity, sustainability, and trust (KAIST).
- Reinforced with the new plan and action items for further progress, KAIST is ready to fulfill its mission statement once more: to provide quality education and implement research that matter to humanity and to nurture entrepreneurs and leaders in science and technology.
- KAIST expects 2013 to be another great year yielding meaningful achievements in research and development.
291 Daehak-ro (373-1 Guseong-dong), Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-701,
Republic of Korea Tel . +82-42-350-2114 Fax . +82-42-350-2210 (2220)
Copyright (C) 2008, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, All Rights Reserved.